Political actions organized in response to high-profile incidents of racially motivated violence bring conversations about race, gender, and violence to the forefront of national consciousness. It is in this context that coalitions find themselves frequently wanting and needing to issue statements highlighting the connections between racism and sexual assault. To support each other in this media work, RSP began collecting and sharing relevant examples from coalitions and allied organizations in 2012. The statements can be found as links or in PDFs below.
Statements in response to the 2020 killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Nina Pop, and many others
- Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violence statement on the Killing of George Floyd and Institutional Racism
- California Coalition Against Sexual Assault statement: CALCASA Stands in Solidarity with Racial Justice Advocates: Criminalization Will Not End Sexual Violence
- Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault statement: Commitment to Anti-Racism
- Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault statement (file listed below)
- Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault statement: We Say Their Names
- Jane Doe, Inc (Massachusetts Coalition) statement: Call to Action for Black Lives and Statement on COVID-19 and People in Jails, Prisons, or Detention Centers
- Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence statement on racial injustices
- Michgan Coalition to End Domestic and Sexual Violence solidarity statement (file listed below)
- Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault statement on George Floyd, Systemic Racism, and Police Violence
- Nebraska Coalition statement: Standing In Solidarity (file listed below)
- New Mexico Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs (file listed below)
- Nevada Coalition to End Domestic and Sexual Violence statement (file listed below)
- New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault statement: On Police Brutality, #BlackLivesMatter, and Protests
- New York Coalition Against Sexual Assault statements on Police Response to Protests in Albany, NY and Call for Justice and Accountability for Anti-Black Violence (files listed below)
- Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence collection of statements, from the coalition, from the board, and from the Aspiring White Allies group (files listed below)
- Oregon Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence statement: We Carry Our History With Us
- Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape and the National Sexual Violence Resource Center statement: PCAR and NSVRC Stand Together with Communities of Color
- Texas Association Against Sexual Assault open letter to anti-sexual violence partners in Texas and their Board response (file listed below)
- Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs statement
- RALIANCE statement on Systemic Racism and Police Brutality
Statements on racism and the intersections of race and sexual violence.
- Women of Color Network, Inc. "Jagged Justice:" This statement from November 2014 is a call to action to mobilize and link all forms of violence and intersecting oppressions.
- National Alliance to End Sexual Violence: A statement discussing the intersectionality of racism and rape.
- Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault: A statement regarding ICE raids in January 2016 against immigrants and refugees who are survivors of trauma.
- Jane Doe, Inc.: A discussion of the direct and indirect connections between the movements to end sexual and domestic violence and the intersections of multiple oppressions.
- New York State Coalition Against Sexual Assault: An open letter regarding violence against women of color.
- Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs: This statement describes the coalition’s commitment to ongoing anti-racism work.
- Iowa Coalitiion Against Sexual Assault: This statement describes the racist harrassment during Iowa Caucus.
- Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape/National Sexual Violence Resource Center: This statement describes the coalition's commitment to ongoing anti-racism work.
Statements responding the Holztclaw sexual assault trial.
- Oregon Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence: Responding to Trauma in Activism and the Media.
- Black Women’s Blueprint "Open Letter:" This letter was drafted by and submitted by Farah Tanis and her colleagues at Black Women’s Blueprint.
- Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence "Time to Speak the Truth": A Statement from the Anti-Oppression Committee of the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence.
- IowaCASA: Press release announcing participation and support of the BWB Justice Ride.
- Jane Doe, Inc.: JDI endorsement of the BWB Justice Ride.
- Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs: Sentence in Oklahoma City 13 Sexual Assault Survivors Case.
Statements addressing the church shooting in Charleston. These letters and statements discuss the intersection of violence and racism.
- Idaho Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence: This statement discusses the connection between the violence of this incident and racism.